April 1, 2010

Spring Wishes For You

Greetings Friends~ ~ ~

Isn't this the cutest little lamb you have ever seen? Perfectly sweet for Easter. Her name is Olympia and she lives on the farm with a knitting friend Kristin Nicholas. Kristin is a famous personality in the knitting world and has written a number of books. She also designs patterns and she knit this floral lei specially for Olympia.

To see the greeting cards Kristen has made up for purchase visit her farm blog. From there you can link to her shop where she sells all sort of knitting goodies.

I hope that Kristin will keep us updated on the progress of Olympia as she grows up.

I have something else to share with all of you that I am truly thrilled about. It's been a long wait but these are tiny apricot trees that I started from seed last summer! We had gotten some of the most flavorful and sweet Apricots that I had ever eaten and the decision was made to grow trees from these seeds. I did some research and found that apricot seeds need to be in the dark and cool for MONTHS for them to sprout. I put 8 seeds in a plastic bag of soil and tucked it in the back of the fridge. This was in September of last year. Every few weeks I would check them for a sprout.

Finally a few weeks ago I saw that two of them had sprouted little leaves so I gave them a new home each in it's own pot. I carry them outside on sunny days and put them in a shaded spot to get them acclimated to the outside.


Four of the 8 seeds I put in the fridge sprouted roots and only 2 so far have leaves but I am pampering them and I have high hopes for 4 lovely trees with luscious fruit. See the tiny clump of dirt beside the bean can they were all about the same size.
I use bottle caps to cover the holes in the bottom of my pots so the water can run out but the soil stays in.


Here they are all potted up. I remember that my Grandmother would put flower slips in cans and line her window sills with the cans during the winter so I thought a can may infuse the soil with helpful minerals so I tried one in a can. We shall see.
Grandmother always had window sills full of flowering geraniums all winter. In the summer she put them out in her flower beds. Then in the fall she broke slips off the plants and put them all in cans again. Quite a money saver with the price of geraniums if you have wide window sills and no cats!

I am linking up with Cindy at her Romantic Home for
"Show and Tell Friday".
Thanks everyone for stopping by.
I wish you a wonderful Easter!
~ ~ ~Ahrisha~ ~ ~

13 comments:

Kathy said...

How much fun is this? Growing apricot trees from pits! My grandmother had a green thumb and, like yours, always had flowers on the windowsills. I remember her African Violets especially.

Allie and Pattie said...

My kids have had some luck with apple seeds- apricots would be lovely!
xoxo Pattie

Sandi~A Cottage Muse said...

What a sweet lamb! Thank you so much for stopping by. Enjoy the holiday weekend!

Tallulah's Antique Closet said...

Thank you for stopping by. Thi lamb in your post is so cute. Thank's for the idea about the bottle caps. That is a great idea. Have a good Easter...Julian

Patty said...

Olympia is such a doll! Thanks for sharing her with us, Happy Easter ;)

Mary Bergfeld said...

What a sweet post. I was not at first sure the lamb was real :-). I wish you luck with your trees. It can be tricky. I hope you have a wonderful holiday. Blessings...Mary

Sue said...

This is so funny....such a small world in blogland...First thanks for stopping by my blog and commenting on Boo the Pyrenees....You have three posts that we have in common....The lamb post....I did a post in August about parking our car at WalMart one night at 1:00a.m. and someone left a live baby lamb in the front seat while my husband was inside the store....your quilt post....I did one very similiar of a huge quilt show we have every year here in Georgia....My pictures looked just like yours....And your Tablescape post....well, I have those same exact glass leaf plates...my mother gave them to me...She also had the same milkglass shoe in her vast collection of milkglass...I was suppose to get the collection when she died but I didn't so my family has been buying pieces for me for the past couple of years....I did a post on that recently....my daughter keeps telling me that everytime she goes to a thrift or antique store she always looks for the shoe.....Sue @ Rue-Mouffetard

Its So Very Cheri said...

Mmmmm--you make those sound mouth watering.

Cheri

Anonymous said...

Ahrisha, first of all...I LOVE THE RED border on your blog! It's gorgeous!

I hope your apricot trees grow and produce fruit. Are they native to PA? I don't think I've ever even seen an apricot tree. You've peaked my curiosity now to look them up onine.

Yes....beautiful weather here in PA, finally! Rain coming, but not cold temps. With everything budding I'd dislike seeing a frost again, but as you know, we can have them until the end of May here! *sigh*

Have a wonderful day!
Diane

Maryjane-The Beehive Cottage said...

Wow! I am impressed! Looking forward to seeing them grow! Happy Spring!!!!

Jess said...

I LOVE baby lambs!! That is such a sweet picture, and I love the thing around its neck!

Yvonne @ StoneGable said...

Ahrisha, I didn't know how apricots grew. I have a few fruit trees and love them. Where did you get your seeds and what kind are they?
I would love to try this.
By the way, e-mail me and let's talk about getting together.
Yvonne

Barbara F. said...

Ahrisha, I want to adopt this lamb! And I want to grow apricot trees!! xo,