May 2, 2011

Can You Solve This Riddle?

When is a rose not a Rose but


A Gourmet Delight?

Give up?




When It is A Julia Child.
That is the name of this delicious little rose.


Of course with my love of food and cooking


I had to buy it!

I went to the local greenhouse to purchase a Graham Thomas Rose. After seeing all the beautiful pictures in Blogland I was smitten. Alas, no Graham Thomas. GT is also a yellow rose and yellow roses are my favorites. Then I spied this beauty and when I saw the name, well, you know how it is.

This picture is the metamorphosis, the fresh young bud and the tattered old flower.


This is what the tag on the rose had to say about her.


All roses are female ~ ~ Right?




Butter Gold - Floribunda 2006

Just before our wonderful American icon left us, she selected this exceptional rose to bear her name. Julia loved the even butter color and the licorice candy fragrance. Yet it wasn't just the old-fashioned blooms that inspired the recipe. The perfectly rounded habit, super glossy leaves and great disease resistance finished off the dish. An awesome AARS award winner-a right and proper honor for a dear friend.




Isn't that lovely?


I adore roses that show their centers. Many of the tea roses do not when they open. I love the contrast between the silken petals and the wirey stamens in the center.



The rose is only about 4" across but I love the shabby ruffled look of it.

How about you. Do you prefer a perfect rose to a shabby one?



Since we are talking roses, here is a hint for you when cutting a rose or trimming your rose bushes. When you cut a stem look to see which side of the stem the next 5 leaf, not 3 leaf stem is. Always make a cut just above a 5 leaf stem. Now, since the new branch will form opposite the 5 leaf stem, will it be growing in the direction you would like to see it grow. If you want it to grow inward to fill out the bush, great. Maybe you want it to grow outward to even out and fill out that side of the bush. Not rocket science but a good tip.



Hope you enjoy this flavor of Lancaster County.


One of our many covered bridges.






I am linking up to these partys this week.


Please visit them for more great posts.












Have a Delightful week!


~ ~Ahrisha~ ~

9 comments:

Renée said...

Absolutely delicious!

Rosemary@villabarnes said...

Hi Ahrisha,
I love the roses. Thanks for visiting me, leaving your nice compliment, and becoming a follower. Your blog is adorable. I just became your follower as well.
xoRosemary

Phyllis said...

First of all, I love the design of your blog and the colors are so cheerful and pretty! The Julia Child's rose is just special and loving yellow roses, I am smitten. I love the description of her rose.....sounds like a creative, lovely, hardy species, like her namesake. I am your newest follower.

Caryn said...

What a beautiful photo of the covered bridge! I love the colors and angle you captured. Thanks for visiting my blog and for your comment as well. :)

Kim @ A Brush of Whimsy said...

Hi Ahrisha,
I love your bridges and roses!!!

I just wanted to answer your question you asked me about the turquoise dresser~ yes, I do wipe the dark stain right over the top of the paint, and I wipe it back off right away. Hope that helps!
Kim :)

Lakota [Faith Hope and Charity Shopping] said...

Oh I just love yellow roses, they are my favourite, somehow they always seem to smell the sweetest. I don't mind what roses look like in terms of shabby or structured, so long as they smell.

Thanks so much for visiting my blog.

very merry vintage style said...

It's gorgeous! Love the color--Thanks for linking to my Share the Love link party!
Mary

Pam Kessler said...

I have never grown a yellow rose before and now I'm wondering why. that is gorgeous!

The French Hutch said...

I'm so happy to meet you. You have a lovely blog, I'm your newest follower, and plan to visit you often, I think your yellow rose is lovely, I love all of them, from perfect bud to shabby and they turn into a petal shower with the breeze. Thanks for stopping by......
Hope your day is wonderful.

~Emily
The French Hutch