December 16, 2008

Is This A Shabby Chic Quilt or What?

Isn't this quilt amazing? It's made with antique ladies hankies and not just any hankies, they belonged to the Grandmother of a friend of mine.
My friend Janice stopped by yesterday to show Mom and I the quilt she just finished before she drove to her Moms to gift her for her birthday. The backing is a white on white print and she sewed the hankies on the backing. Janices husband Joe did the all over floral quilting pattern with a computerized quilting machine he owns. If I remember correctly the quilting thread is a pastel colored varigated and the result is stunning! It looks like daisys and swirls all over. I am so sorry that the pictures do not do this quilt justice.


This hankie is embroidered and centered on the back with this birthday wish and the history of the hankies. What a wonderful heirloom they both created. The quilt was made as a table cloth. Just imagine it in your shabby chic diningroom! I so want to make one of these but I will have to use new hankies for mine. Opps, another project. . .after the holidays.

7 comments:

Helen said...

I can't even begin to imagine how much hard work, many hours and much love went into this beautiful work of art .....

Tutti Chic said...

This is absolutely grogeous & so much hard work I bet! I agree with helen that so much love went into this amzing quilt! Merry Christmas~thanks so much for stopping by today~xo Chris

Laura @ the shorehouse. said...

Amazing!! What a great idea...I've never seen a quilt made with hankies!

Alison said...

Wow! Cool!

--AlisonH at spindyeknit.com (I used to be on Blogger, and Blogger won't let go of the fact that I'm not there anymore, it'll give you a dead link, sorry!)

Anonymous said...

That is so beautiful! What a treasure!

Shay said...

I wish someone would start making these old hankies again; I have half a dozen that belonged to my grandmother and they're too fragile to do anything with now.

Joy said...

Hey, there! Just finally took time to check out your blog.

The house looks great. See, I told you it would all fall into place when you got started.

I love Janice's quilt. Are the small squares in the center and the triangles in the border hankies too? We gotta start looking for hankies. I am sure that I have some that belonged to my mom and my grandmother that I could use, but I am not sure that I have enough. Luv ya,

Joy